A Rare Re-union with an old student after 25 years

    I had  been a teacher  in an engineering  college for almost  forty five years.But I have  very few friends among my students, may be because a strict disciplinarian  in my class and may be a taskmaster for those  who worked under  me as a guide and student. But, people who have understood  me  may  not hesitate to certfy that I had  been fair  to all  my students and have  helped to the extent possible  within my limitations. Very often teachers  help students in getting  suitable  jobs, but here  I am writing about  my friendship with a student  who had been  instrumental in getting my first assignment abroad. The other day  I could  meet him after 25 long years. This  note  is on our reunion.

 

I had  completed my PhD from  I I T Delhi in 1981  and was trying my best   to get  at least post-doctoral  position  in some  of the universities abroad but nothing really  clicked. Years were  flying by  and  our children  were compketing their  high school  days. As  I was not very sure whether  my wife along could give them the  necessary  guidance  for their career, I had  stopped all attempts and had almost bid farewell for a placement abroad.  However, as a bolt from the blue, I received an email from a former  student of mine in Regional Engineering  College  (1986 batch) stating that he is  working in Data  Storage Institute  Singapore and they in Servo-electronics division are  looking for a person  strong in th fundamentals  of Control Systems and further asked  me to send  my biodata  if I am interested  in a short assignment as Visiting Professor in his Institute. I did   not have  much hope  but somehow  prepared a  biodata and sent to his boss. IN a few days time,  reply came that they are looking for a person like me but I have to appear  for an  interview with them  at Singapore.  Fortunately for me, I was  planning  to travel to  Honolulu, Hawaii  for  presenting a  paper and I promised them I will  take a day stop over at Singapore  on the way back and meet them at their place. There   was no formal interview  except  informal discussion  on what they are  doing over  there and they were   happy to accept me as a Visiting  Professor. By this  time, our daughter had already  in USA  on an IT job and our son wa doing his  MD in Calicut Medical College. With   no worries about our children, myself and my wife   reached Singapore  on my first assignment abroad  at the late age of 52 years.

As   the assignment  was  for  one year at the most, getting a flat  furnishing  etc was a difficult job. But  my students  friend  Sivadas  came  up with a proposal that we  can stay with  him as a paying guest. He had a  two bed room flat  on the seventh floor and  his wife and young daughter  4 year  ols were  the only  occupants  other than a maid servant of Tamil origin from Sri Lanka. On assurance that he will  take the  money for accommodation and food at the  normal rate, we accepted  his offer  gladly.

Gauathri( Ammu)  necame  our first  grand  child as our daughter  though married had not  a child yet . Ammu called us grandpa and grandma and  my wife  enjoyed the company of   the child and  Priya  his wife. We had a spacious bed room and the maid servant  was always willing to learn some special Keralite  cooking  from my wife. We two  families were almost perfectly  compatible  in  our choice of food  and other  things. Priya had a  job in an embassy and my wife used  to  take the child to the play school and both of them enjoyed the company of each other.  We had a wonderful   six months in Singapore , travelling together to the Institute for work, shoping and entertaintment  etc all  together. AS our contract  was  not extended  beyond six months  due to some administrative decision, we  returned  to our parent institution.  I rejoined  the college after cancelling the unavailed sabbathical leave granted  for one year.

  

Sivadas and Priya along with  the child  moved to  California, USA  after a few years. Of course, we were  in contacr  occasionally through  whatsapp and email  once in a while. The  little girl  Ammu  grew up to  be a big girl and got married  to another  Indian professional and are  settled in Seattle.

 

After  so  many years since 1998, we  had an opportunity  to meet   Sivadas and Priya.  They had come to an Ayurvedic Nursing  home in Ponkunnam for some  preventive treatment. Ponkunnam was hardly 50 KMs away from where  I am staying now and my brother  in law  was also staying  near  this  hospital. So, I decided  to go there  and meet him and thought could make a courtesy visit to brother in law and his wife too. I started  in the  early  morning  on 19th and  my  brother  in law took me in his  car to Sivadas.  We had a  wonderful time  together chit chatting for almost 2  hours reliving our good old days in Singapore. Only  missing person wa my wife who left for her heavenly abode almost an year  back. Siva  appeared a little tired after  the  strenuous Ayurveda  treatment  but Priya was at her best  taking care  of him. Siva has retired  from active service  but Priya  is still  working  with a legal firm.  They have  completed their course  of treatment and are  leaving for  USA today.  Let me  wish them the best  in future.

 Bon Voyage  Siva  and Priya.

God Bless You two and Gayathri and her husband.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

നായന്മാരുടെ കഥ – 7 കേരളത്തിലെ നായന്മാരിലെ വിഭാഗങ്ങള്‍

മധ്യമ വ്യായോഗം -

കീചക വധം കഥകളി